We have written a book for children and teachers: Life in the Roman World: Roman Leicester by Giacomo Savani, Sarah Scott and Mathew Morris. The book is suitable for KS3-5 (11-18). The book is linked to resources entitled Life in the Roman World: Ratae Corieltavorum (Roman Leicester), which are suitable for KS2-3 (9-13).
The book and resources are linked to the national curriculum and can also be used to support the teaching of OCR’s GCSE Classical Civilisation and GCSE Latin. The book can be purchased via the University online shop.
Our book and classroom resources are based on the world-class research of Archaeology and Ancient History at Leicester, the excavations and publications of University of Leicester Archaeological Services (ULAS), objects in the Jewry Wall Museum Leicester and the Harborough Museum.
We are providing free classroom sets of the book to schools in Leicestershire and Rutland with the support of Classics for All and University of Leicester Research Impact Funding. If you would like a free set for your school, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to book a place on one of our free half-day training sessions, which explain how the book and resources can be used to support national curriculum subjects.
The resources are available for free download, and include session plans, activities and worksheets which explore the culturally plural nature of the Roman world, as well as introducing Latin in the context of the archaeology of Roman Leicester.
Life in the Roman World: Ratae Corieltavorum (Leicester) for KS2-3
Sessions 1-8: Teacher lesson plans and research background
- Session 1: Introduction (PowerPoint and resources)
- Session 2: Ratae (PowerPoint and resources)
- Session 3: Slaves (PowerPoint and resources)
- Session 4: Curses (PowerPoint and resources)
- Session 5: Death (PowerPoint and resources)
- Session 6: Memorials (PowerPoint and resources)
- Session 7: Army 1 (PowerPoint and resources)
- Session 8: Army 2 (PowerPoint and resources)
Related classroom materials for Life in the Roman World:
- How to wear a toga – instructional video
- 3D gallery of objects found in Leicester
- Story of Leicester: The Romans in Leicester
- ULAS poster gallery – information on the latest archaeological discoveries in Leicester for classroom use
- Popular publications on the archaeology of Leicester
- Film clips showcasing the excavation of Roman remains in Leicester
- The Jewry Wall Baths: An adventure in time – a detailed overview of the site and a fun activity trail for children